Departments

  • Old Masters

    The history of this department began together with the history of the Museum itself. Its first pieces were a collection of casts. By 1909 the Museum already owned a number of paintings, primarily Italian and Byzantine works. Substantial additions of valuable pieces of art to the Museum's collection led to the 1924 foundation of the Picture Gallery Department and the Sculpture Department, where originals and casts were stored. From 1925 to the 1930s, the Museum received some outstanding Western European painting pieces from the Hermitage collection. At various times, the Picture Gallery Department has been headed by leading academics, such as Nikolay Romanov and Viktor Lazarev. The two departments existed until 1939, when an integrated Department of Western European Art was created, headed by Ksenia Malitskaya.
  • 19th and 20th Century European and American Art

    This department was established in 2006, when part of the picture gallery was moved into a standalone building and the Gallery of 19th and 20th Century European and American Art opened. The collections that were transfered to the new department cover the period from the 1810s/1820s to the end of the 20th century and represent the history of art in its fullness and diversity. About 400 works are permanently exhibited in the halls of the Gallery, while 579 exhibits are stored in the department.
  • Ancient Art and Archaeology

    The Department of Ancient Art and Archaeology is one of the oldest in the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts. Its history is inextricably linked to the history of the Museum. The core of the ancient collection is a number of genuine masterpieces: painted Greek vases and casts from the most famous statues of Ancient Greece and Rome purchased between the 1850s and the 1870s for the Cabinet of Fine Arts and Antiquities of Moscow University. The department provides storage for 37,124 items that represent the art of Cyprus, Ancient Greece, Etruria, Ancient Rome, and ancient cities of the northern shores of the Black Sea.
  • The Ancient Orient

    This department provides storage for around 18,000 works of art from Ancient Egypt, Sumer, Akkad, Babylon, Assyria, Mitanni, Arrapha, Elam, Urartu, Persia, Cyprus, Phoenicia, Syria, Japan, China, India, Tibet, Mongolia, Mesoamerica, and Africa, belonging to the period from the 6th millennium B.C. to the beginning of the 20th century.
  • Graphics

    The Department of Prints is one of the oldest in the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts. It has a rich collection of prints, drawings, books, posters, and miscellaneous graphic art. The department provides storage for over 380,000 graphic art pieces by Russian and foreign masters of the 15th-21st centuries.
  • Coins and Medals

    This department was established based on the collection of coins and medals of the Imperial University of Moscow, a collection that has been compiled since the school's foundation in 1755. In 1812 the university's numismatic collection was given the name of Munzkabinett. In the middle of the 19th century, Munzkabinett was a part of the Museum or Cabinet of Fine Arts and Antiquities, which was opened in 1855 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the university.
  • Private Collections

    This collection currently consists of over 7,000 pieces of Russian and Western European art of the 15th-20th centuries. These include paintings, drawings, sculptures, objects of applied arts, and photography.
  • Ivan Tsvetaev Educational Art Museum

    The Ivan Tsvetaev Educational Art Museum was founded in 1997 and opened its doors on June 30 of the same year. This department of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts is located at the Russian State University for the Humanities (RSUH). 7 museum halls boast 750 casts and copies made from art objects of Ancient Egypt, Southwest Asia, Ancient Greece and Rome, and Europe of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, and they are exhibited in Paris, London, Berlin, Cairo, St. Petersburg, and many other museums of Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. The Educational Museum is open to the general public and is used for classes, thus revitalizing the Tsvetaev tradition of a direct connection between the museum and the learning process.
  • Manuscripts

    The Department of Manuscripts, established in 1945, is a scholarly department of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts. As of January 1, 2010, it was storing over 66,000 pieces of predominantly private materials in more than 100 funds and collections. Most of the documents come from the 2nd half of the 19th century or the 20th century, while some documents date back to the 1770s-1820s. Both professional (made by famous masters and studios) and amateur photographs constitute an integral part of the collection. The earliest of these are from the 1860s.
  • Music Culture

    The Department of Music Culture was established in September 1999. It includes the Sviatoslav Richter Memorial Apartment, which was founded according to the last will and testament of Nina Dorliak of December 5, 1997. Tours involving listening to musical recordings and watching films are held in this Memorial Apartment, as well as temporary exhibitions, including photography exhibitions, exhibitions of artists who used to be friends with Sviatoslav Richter, and works from the Museum collections. The department also holds the annual International Music Festival “December Nights of Sviatoslav Richter.”
  • Department of Photographic Art

    The Department of Photographic Art was established in 2009. Its main task is to store and collect unique photographic materials from Russia and all around the world in order to trace the change in artistic styles, the development of photographic methods, and the evolution of technologies. The collection was started long before the department was established. In the Museum's lecture hall, regular lectures and meetings are held with leading Russian photographers, such as Georgy Kolosov, Oleg Videnin, Vlarimir Klavikho-Telepnev, Francisco Infante-Arana, Igor Mukhin, Gregori Maiofis, Andrey Chezhin, Andrey Bezukladnikov, Vadim Gushchin, and others. The department also plans to organize round tables, workshops, and debates involving curators, art critics, and gallery owners who consider photography to be a genre of contemporary media art.
  • Registration and Acquisition

    This department was established as a standalone division of the Museum in 1945, but its modern name has been in existence only since 1972. The department is responsible for centralized registration of all collections and items in the Museum's collection, maintenance of statistics on the number and movement of exhibits, record keeping on new arrivals, transfer of museum pieces for storage and restoration, control of item availability, and arrangement of expert work in the Museum, including for private individuals via oral consultations.
  • Restoration and Conservation

    This department consists of laboratories for the restoration of paintings, drawings, and applied arts, as well as a specialized laboratory where X-ray studies are performed. Currently, 37 restorers and researchers work at the department's 9 studios.
  • Editing and Publishing

    This department is in charge of editing catalogues, guides, journals for academic conferences, and publications for exhibitions. The careful and painstaking work of editing, verification, and unification of all formal data, as well as coordination between Museum departments and partner publishers, are also the department's direct responsibility.
  • Popular Science

    This department was established in August 1929. It employs a team of scholars who lead guided tours and lectures, as well as a group for promoting culture, which is responsible for the technical aspects of visitor service. Guided tours for children and adults are offered in 12 main topics, both in the main building of the Museum and the Gallery of 19th and 20th Century European and American Art.
  • Scientific Library

    The collection of the Scientific Library includes around 500,000 items. The efforts of its employees prove the words of Ivan Tsvetaev's successor Nikolay Romanov, a brilliant scientist and one of the first directors of the Museum: “The Museum's library feeds the scientific and educational work of all departments and is equally as important as a heart and a brain are for a living body.”
  • Visual Information

    This department was established in 1945, when various imaging materials were removed from the Museum library. Its original name was the Office of Reproductions. At that time, the new department's collection was supplemented with similar materials it received from other places.
  • Information Technologies

    Four sectors that are subordinate to the Deputy Director for IT are responsible for support and development of the Museum's information systems and networks, implementation and usage of multimedia, and management of digital resources and archives.
  • Mouseion Children's Educational Center

    The Children's Educational Center was established in 2006, but the history of educational initiatives for the young generation at the Museum began with its first days. The name Mouseion (Gr. “temple”, “sanctuary of muses”) goes back to the name of one of the cultural and scientific centers of the ancient world — the Mouseion of Egyptian Alexandria, founded in the beginning of the 3rd century B.C. Scholars from various Mediterranean countries worked at the Mouseion, which also housed a renowned library. By giving this name to the Educational Center, its founders demonstrate respect for and trust in children's developing personalities.
  • International Relations

    This department manages the Museum's international affairs in the spheres of exhibitions, professional exchanges, ceremonial events attended by foreign guests, etc.
  • Exhibitions

    This department manages the efforts of different sectors and departments of the Museum to organize exhibitions in the Museum and to take part in events both in Russia and abroad.
  • Public Relations

    This department is responsible for external communications, management of the Museum's image and its positioning in society, development of the PR strategy, and media coverage.
  • Cinema and Media Arts

    The Department of Cinema and Media Arts was established in the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts in the spring of 2016. It focuses on new media art and the development of a new visual language. The exhibition projects of this department include video media arts pieces, performances, and sound experiments of Russian and foreign artists. The department has its own Open Laboratory serving as a base, where students can attend lectures, conferences, and other events to meet contemporary artists and art theorists.
  • Отдел образовательно-выставочных проектов

SATELLITE WEBSITES
 Pictures
 List

Portal Homepage

www.arts-museum.ru

Japanese prints of the 18th-19th century

www.japaneseprints.ru

Patrons of the New Art

www.artmaecenas.ru

Gallery of 19th and 20th century European and American Art

www.newpaintart.ru

German Prints: Albrecht Dürer and his Teachers

www.germanprints.ru

Official online shop

www.artsmuseumshop.ru

Department of Private Collections

www.artprivatecollections.ru

Ivan Tsvetaev Educational Art Museum at Russian State University for the Humanities

Site under development

Виртуальные прогулки по музею

www.virtual.arts-museum.ru

Coins And Medals Department

www.coins-and-medals.ru

Sviatoslav Richter Memorial Apartment

www.sviatoslav-richter.ru

Технология виртуальной реальности VR

www.vr.arts-museum.ru

Museum Restoration and Conservation Department

www.museumconservation.ru

Italian Painting in 8th-20th centuries

www.italian-art.ru

Музей. Пространство внимания

www.heatmap.arts-museum.ru

Museyon Center for Aesthetic Education

www.museyon.ru

Masterpieces of Ancient Art

www.antic-art.ru

Человек как птица. Образы путешествий

www.venice.arts-museum.ru

18th-19th Century British Engraving

www.britishprints.ru

Restoration of Egyptian burial shroud. II-nd c. AD.

www.shroud.arts-museum.ru

Each satellite website contains this icon, which lets you go to any satellite from the museum's website system.

Engraving in Russia in 18th and Early 19th Centuries

www.russianprints.ru

Museum Quarter

www.quarter.arts-museum.ru